Kale chips are a super-nutritious stand-in for potato chips or crackers—and so delicious!
1 bunch of kale, washed, cut into 2” pieces with ribs removed (about 3
1 Tbsp olive oil
½ tsp salt
1. PREHEAT the oven to 325° F.
2. TOSS the kale with the olive oil and salt.
3. PLACE on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, mixing once half-way through. The kale should be crispy, not browned.
NUTRITION (per serving) 51 cal
Spice Roasted Nuts
Toasting nuts awakens and deepens their natural flavor, plus it allows you to customize them with your own favorite spice mixtures. Here are four reliable routes to take. Each version makes 4 servings.
⅛ tsp chili powder + ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper + salt + 1 c whole unpeeled almonds
NUTRITION (per serving) 116 cal
1 tsp curry powder + 1 c unsalted cashews
NUTRITION (per serving) 111 cal
½ tsp Chinese five-spice powder + 1 c salted peanuts
NUTRITION (per serving) 120 cal, 11 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 11 mg sodium, 1 g fiber
½ Tbsp cocoa powder + 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon + 2 Tbsp sugar + 1 c pecan halves
NUTRITION (per serving) 128 cal, 12 g fat, 2 g sat.fat, 150 mg sodium, 1 g fiber
Seeded Tortilla Chips
When baked, chia seeds take on a nutty taste while still harboring those brain-boosting omega-3s.
¼ c flax seeds
3 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 Tbsp chia seeds
1 lg egg white
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
6 flour tortillas (8"-10")
1. HEAT oven to 350°F.
2. STIR together seeds.
3. WHISK together egg white, chili powder, and salt.
4. BRUSH tops of tortillas with egg white mixture and sprinkle evenly with seeds.
5. CUT each tortilla into 12 triangular pieces. Arrange half of chips, seed side up, in single layer on 2 large baking sheets.
6. BAKE in upper and lower thirds of oven until golden and crisp, about 15 minutes.
7. COOL on racks. Bake remaining chips and cool. (Makes 72 chips)
NUTRITION (per serving) 108 cal,